Sorry about the light posting lately—I’ve been suffering from a severe bout of good weather. Time spent blogging before has been spent playing tennis!
But I also have been spending a lot of time working on a long new series of posts, and I think it’s time to start rolling them out!
Too much of what I write about is stuff I either recently learned, or have no real expertise with. Big deal. That’s par for the course for most bloggers, but I would like to write a bit about something I really do have some expertise in: Putting together a really kicking home bar.
My own bar, pictured below, is one of the best you will find.
Pretty bold statement there.
Yep. But true.
NoIMHO, or other comment about how other’s may legitimately disagree?
Not really. I’m not going to be talking much about stylistic or thematic choices. And where I do, it will be in the context of how to make your own choices work in the practical structure of the bar. I travel around the country for Killing Time all the time, and spend a lot of time in the homes, party rooms, and basement bars of scores of clients, both rich and middle-class. Change the colors, finishes, and accessories, and I’ll wager my bar would make just about anybody short of an eight-figure millionaire quite happy.
This started out as a simple one or two part post, but it has grown massively in my draft folder. There will be a bunch of posts to come, soon, on how to design, put together, and equip a really top notch home bar. I realize that not everyone will have the budget I did when constructing the Pegu Lounge, so I’ll be discussing costs, tradeoffs, etc. as well.
Our first subject will be defining the Basement Bar, and examining the whys and wherefores. Ready? Then click here.
If you want to follow this specific series of posts on the Pegu Blog, you can subscribe to our Basement Bar feed here. Or you can just subscribe to the entire blog, with all its brilliant content, here!
Here’s a list of the other articles in this series that have been posted so far:
- Basement Bar Accessories #10: The NewAir Portable Ice Maker
- Basement Bar Accessories #6: DIY Kegerator
- Basement Bar Accessories: Herbal Assault Part 1
- Basement Bar Design #0: Introduction
- Basement Bar Design #1: Where, What, and Why.
- Basement Bar Design #2: Refrigerators
- Basement Bar Design #3: Ice Supply
- Basement Bar Design #4(a): Essential Glassware
- Basement Bar Design #4(b): Supplemental Glassware
- Basement Bar Design #4(c): Buying Glassware
- Basement Bar Design #5: Water and Washing Up
- Basement Bar Design #6: My Own Basement Bar
- Basement Bar Design #7: Bar Top and Countertop Surfaces
- Basement Bar Design #8(a): Artists
- Basement Bar Design #8(b) More Artists
- Basement Bar Design #8: Artwork
- Basement Bar Design #9: Tiki Bars
- Basement Bar Design Accessories #1: Lit Backbar Walls
- Basement Bar Design Accessories #2: Holiday Glassware Giveaways
- Basement Bar Design Accessories #3: Beer Dispensing from Heineken and Elsewhere
- Basement Bar Design Accessories #4: Branded Beer Taps
- Basement Bar Design Accessories #5: Pure American Ingenuity
- Basement Bar Design Accessories #7: The Man Wall
- Basement Bar Design Accessories #8: The Arkeg
- Basement Bar Design Accessories #9: Global Domination
- Basement Bar Design Accessories: Hidden Lairs
- Basement Bar Design Elsewhere in the Cocktailosphere
- Basement Bar Design Elsewhere in the Cocktailosphere #2
- Basement Bar Design Factoid #1: Sheds
- Basement Bar Design Factoid #2: Dangerous Party Invitees
- Basement Bar Design Factoid #3: Irish Pub in a (really big) Box
- Basement Bar Design Factoid #4: Mr. Blendtec, activate the defenses!
- Basement Bar Design Factoid #5: 1800 Tequila’s Mancave Contest
- Basement Bar Design News: The Wall Street Journal Notices That Home Bars Are “In”
- Basement Bar Design, Things to Consider #1: The Bargain
- Basement Bar Design: A Tour of the Parade of Homes
- Basement Bar Design: Star Trek Doors
- Basement Bar Overhaul: Dressing for Tiki Month
- Bulletin, Bulletin, Bulletin!
- Christmas Idea: Martini Shaker
- Fun With Time-Lapse
- I Saved at Least $10,000 Because of Cocktail Blogging…
- Jacob Grier Invites Us to Up Our Bartending Game.
- New Basement Bar Contest From Grant’s Whisky
- New Blog Function
- SideBlog: A Really Clever, Easy IKEA Home Bar
- SideBlog: Basement Bars Are Helm’s Deep For Men
- SideBlog: Blender Drink Aficionados Booking For Europe With Spare Luggage Space
- SideBlog: Making Tiki Stuff: Royal Tiki
- SideBlog: New York Post Notices February is a Good Time For Tiki Month
- SideBlog: Selling Tiki Stuff: Cheeky Tiki
- SideBlog: The Manliest Bottle Opener Ever
- SideBlog: Ultra Modern Tiki Torches
- The Bar Accessory The EVERY Cocktail Geek Must Obtain
- The Sixth Day of Christmas
- This Year’s Final Exam: A Full-Bore Tiki Party
- Tiki Timeout: Bar Building and BlogBarCrawl Update
- Trader Tiki’s Basement Bar in the News
- Unique Tiki Mugs
- Wow, They Even Have Black Friday Sales In the Cocktail World….