I’m going to make another pass through the world of iPhone cocktail applications in the next week or so, as there are a bunch of new ones out. But I’ll start with news of an update of one that I already reviewed, called Pocket Cocktails.
Version 1.1 addresses most of the minor issues I had with pCocktails, and the one major one. First the major gripe that is no more: They added the Pegu to the database! Yes, that’s right, their database is now complete, thank you very much. I do question the photo they use, as the color is a little green. Be forewarned that your actual drink will be more ruddy.
They added a lot of shaker and ice noises to the random drink shaker feature. I liked this gimmick to begin with, and I like it more now. Furthermore, they have added some preferences to it that allows you to select which category or categories from which you want it to choose your random drink. They also added a favorites feature that works smoothly and elegantly. I’d love to see them add an option to the random drink shaker to choose just from your favorites. Both of these additions to version 1.1 add significant functionality. Besides the necessary addition of the Pegu, they added 14 other cocktails to the database. The size of the database is still the Achilles’ Heel of this app. It is much smaller than most others, but this is due in part to not including 400 glasses of vomit recipes with obscene names….
They also updated the Pocket Cocktails website to include a bartender’s library, with lots of PDF’s from their book on bartending. They also have a link to their second (free) iPhone app, 50 Easy Recipes.
Overall, a nice update to an already nice cocktail reference app!
Here’s a list of the other posts here about Apple iPhone software:
- iPhone App From CocktailDB: Cocktails
- iPhone Cocktail Directories
- iPhone App: Pocket Cocktails
- Pocket Cocktails Update
- iPhone Software Review: Are You Smarter Than a Bartender?
- iPhone App From Cocktail Dreams: Cocktails App
- iPhone App: 101 Cocktails
- iPhone Cocktail Apps Contest!
- iPhone App: Flip ‘N Drink
- iPhone App: Cocktails Made Easy
- iPhone Cocktail App: Cocktails+ is Free!
- The Corporate World Starts Getting In On iPhone Drink Apps
- iPhone App Review: Tiki+
- Alcohol and FaceBook Don’t Mix, Without This Emulsifier…
- TabbedOut: A Marvelous App
- Update: Beachbum Berry’s Tiki+