I’ve written often that your basement bar, for maximum coolness, needs a hook or two. Said hooks ought to be in keeping with your own personality, and the design of your bar. They could be as simple as a piece or two of nice artwork, or a pool table. If you are higher up on the handy and/or innovative scale, you might install built-in beer taps, or perhaps some unique plumbing….
The idea below is not part of a home bar, as far as I can tell.
But it should be. Perhaps, if you have the right combination of cocktailian enthusiasm, and Star Trek geek cred, you could make it real.
Via GeekPress, I give you uiproductions’ air-powered sliding doors. They even sound perfect.
A few things, should you decide to install there in your own home Ten-Forward or Quark’s Bar. He used standard paneled home doors. Should you want to do this for a themed bar, I’d suggest you go with the flat doors, and paint or laminate them appropriately. Also, he deliberately chose to go with a push button because of his home’s layout. Installing the electric eye he discusses should be a must.
Marc, the maker, posts complete instructions, along with photos, of how he constructed the door in the post. Go read it, and check out the extended edition of the video.
One final note: My first thought was that this was too cool to survive much use, and could turn into a difficult white elephant. But when I read further, I found that this is a four year old installation, with no problems. This setup is so awesome, I almost want to redo my own Basement Bar to incorporate one. But then I realized that if I put Ten Forward in my basement, Whoopi Goldberg would probably move in shortly thereafter. Not worth it. I suspect she shakes her Manhattans….
If you want to follow this specific series of posts on the Pegu Blog, you can subscribe to our Basement Bar feed here. Or you can just subscribe to the entire blog, with all its brilliant content, here!
Here’s a list of the other articles in this series that have been posted so far:
- Basement Bar Accessories #10: The NewAir Portable Ice Maker
- Basement Bar Accessories #6: DIY Kegerator
- Basement Bar Accessories: Herbal Assault Part 1
- Basement Bar Design #0: Introduction
- Basement Bar Design #1: Where, What, and Why.
- Basement Bar Design #2: Refrigerators
- Basement Bar Design #3: Ice Supply
- Basement Bar Design #4(a): Essential Glassware
- Basement Bar Design #4(b): Supplemental Glassware
- Basement Bar Design #4(c): Buying Glassware
- Basement Bar Design #5: Water and Washing Up
- Basement Bar Design #6: My Own Basement Bar
- Basement Bar Design #7: Bar Top and Countertop Surfaces
- Basement Bar Design #8(a): Artists
- Basement Bar Design #8(b) More Artists
- Basement Bar Design #8: Artwork
- Basement Bar Design #9: Tiki Bars
- Basement Bar Design Accessories #1: Lit Backbar Walls
- Basement Bar Design Accessories #2: Holiday Glassware Giveaways
- Basement Bar Design Accessories #3: Beer Dispensing from Heineken and Elsewhere
- Basement Bar Design Accessories #4: Branded Beer Taps
- Basement Bar Design Accessories #5: Pure American Ingenuity
- Basement Bar Design Accessories #7: The Man Wall
- Basement Bar Design Accessories #8: The Arkeg
- Basement Bar Design Accessories #9: Global Domination
- Basement Bar Design Accessories: Hidden Lairs
- Basement Bar Design Elsewhere in the Cocktailosphere
- Basement Bar Design Elsewhere in the Cocktailosphere #2
- Basement Bar Design Factoid #1: Sheds
- Basement Bar Design Factoid #2: Dangerous Party Invitees
- Basement Bar Design Factoid #3: Irish Pub in a (really big) Box
- Basement Bar Design Factoid #4: Mr. Blendtec, activate the defenses!
- Basement Bar Design Factoid #5: 1800 Tequila’s Mancave Contest
- Basement Bar Design News: The Wall Street Journal Notices That Home Bars Are “In”
- Basement Bar Design, Things to Consider #1: The Bargain
- Basement Bar Design: A Tour of the Parade of Homes
- Basement Bar Design: Star Trek Doors
- Basement Bar Overhaul: Dressing for Tiki Month
- Bulletin, Bulletin, Bulletin!
- Christmas Idea: Martini Shaker
- Fun With Time-Lapse
- I Saved at Least $10,000 Because of Cocktail Blogging…
- Jacob Grier Invites Us to Up Our Bartending Game.
- New Basement Bar Contest From Grant’s Whisky
- New Blog Function
- SideBlog: A Really Clever, Easy IKEA Home Bar
- SideBlog: Basement Bars Are Helm’s Deep For Men
- SideBlog: Blender Drink Aficionados Booking For Europe With Spare Luggage Space
- SideBlog: Making Tiki Stuff: Royal Tiki
- SideBlog: New York Post Notices February is a Good Time For Tiki Month
- SideBlog: Selling Tiki Stuff: Cheeky Tiki
- SideBlog: The Manliest Bottle Opener Ever
- SideBlog: Ultra Modern Tiki Torches
- The Bar Accessory The EVERY Cocktail Geek Must Obtain
- The Sixth Day of Christmas
- This Year’s Final Exam: A Full-Bore Tiki Party
- Tiki Timeout: Bar Building and BlogBarCrawl Update
- Trader Tiki’s Basement Bar in the News
- Unique Tiki Mugs
- Wow, They Even Have Black Friday Sales In the Cocktail World….