This is intended to be the first in a new series of television series-based drinking games. This one is too perfect, we’ll see if any others end up working as well.
ABC’s Castle, starring Firefly’s Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic, is among Maggi’s and my favorite shows. If you are not watching it, you owe it to civilization to start. Actual intelligent, well-written television on the big networks desperately needs to be rewarded. The alternative is more of this.
I won’t go into the nature of the show much here, except to set up the game. Castle is what we like to call,
a writer’s show, for a whole host of reasons. It is a mystery series about a writer. It features some fairly educated plotting and dialog. Even when the lead character is being infantile (which is often) he does it in an educated manner. And most importantly, Castle and his cohorts are always having fun with language.
Here’s the game, with comments.
In keeping with Castle’s character, players will equip themselves with a good single-malt scotch and sipping glasses.
- Whenever Castle makes a grammar related quip, take one sip.
- Whenever another character uses incorrect grammar, all players who notice it will lay a finger along their nose. Those who miss it must take a sip. (The bad grammar on the show is a little too obvious and too pervasive for a show written by good-natured Grammar Nazis. It has to be an inside joke.)
- Whenever Castle starts talking about “The Story”, take one sip.
- Whenever Castle gets people caught up in a story he’s telling, take a sip. You’ll probably hear dramatic or creepy music.
- Take two, if anyone actually believes him. You’ll definitely hear dramatic or creepy music.
- Every time Castle makes a pun, take a sip. Use it to drown out the groans.
- Whenever someone employs a form of the word “irony”, finish your drink.
- If Castle says that they used it correctly, refill and drink that too.
All of that group are language and grammar related. Here’s a supplemental list for some other drink-worthy Castle tropes you can add for a full Castle drinking game experience:
- Whenever Becket complains of Castle’s immaturity, take one sip.
- Whenever Ryan and Esposito start putting one over on Castle, take a sip.
- Whenever Castle is happy that someone has been brutally murdered, take a sip. If he claps his hands, take two.
- Each time Beckett uses sex to torment Castle, finish your drink.
In case you haven’t seen Castle yet, here’s a taste.
My last attempt at a drinking game would likely have left you passed out until about now. If that’s the case, and you are just now sobering up… may I suggest a drink?
UPDATE: Here is a whole Castle Drinking Game thread on a Castle fan site.
Most are good fan touches, but either don’t fit with my game’s theme, or just don’t work for a drinking game in general. But some are gold.
CastleTV.net language-related drinking game contributions:
- Every time Castle turns something innocent into innuendo, take one sip.
- Whenever you see Castle actually working on a book, take one sip.
- Whenever Martha is drinking, join her.
Other CastleTV.net gold:
- If Castle says,
Bam said the lady, take one sip.
- If Alexis gives
parental adviceto Castle, take one sip. If Castle actually give parental advice to his daughter, take three.